Sunday, February 27, 2011

BP 7 - Feb 28

     Ideally, all architecture is meant to create a connection with the viewer by evoking some kind of emotional response.  For the most part, I can positively say that the expected emotion is actually happiness.  Spaces should not only shelter its viewer but also create environments which promote interactions within that space.  Personally, however, I believe that a space's ability to provide happiness is an absolutely crucial tenet in any architectural space.
     If I had to identify a space which provides happiness for me, it wouldn't actually be any room in a building.  I chose the magnolia on the corner of College Avenue and Administration Drive.  I was very unaware of the space hidden within this giant shrub. On the side facing Spring Garden, there is an opening.  Until Friday, I was unaware of its existence.  I walked into the gap half expecting to be disappointed by a small, unappealing space.  Quite the opposite.  The tree has grown to such a scale that its massive branches extend a good 10 feet from the trunk of the tree without any cumbersome leafy growth to fill the gap.  Light actually filters down through the leaves giving a off a beautiful aura and a sense of mystery about the place.  A single tire swing hangs amidst the branches, suggesting that the tranquility of the place peaks at one's solitude in it.  Here, you can leave behind the issues of the world and experience happiness in the simpler things of life.  Return to easier times.  In this sanctuary, there are no papers due.  Blog posts are thing of the past.  Tests are overrated.  And you? Well, you're just a kid in a tire swing.

1 comment:

  1. Anuj, I feel you man! I also love that space. I will tell you a secret: “the best memory I have of my entire UNCG journey, was under that tree, in that same hidden space. If there is one memory that I would love to re-live over and over again is that one.” I just love your post! Great job!

    ReplyDelete