Saturday, March 19, 2011

dining togetha day - finale.


My initial thought when I first started thinking about this project was light.  With this dining space, I wanted to make sure that throughout the day, there would always be a sufficient light source.  On the east wall, I put large window that wraps around onto the south wall.  This would serve to emphasize the softness of the light early on by not allowing direct beams of sunlight into any of the patrons' eye level.  Later on, however, the sun would pass by the west wall, which features two similar wrap-around windows, but rather than trans-versing the walls, they go up through the ceiling.


Through building the model, I quickly realized that light distribution was a secondary concern; I wanted to come up with something that would truly make my dining space unique.  In the end, my inspiration became the idea of a treehouse.  It's essentially a lofted space that holds focus and interest because, of its elevated position.  


I worked up from the base.  I chose a simple box form initially, but that was a bit too mundane for my taste.  The final version features an indentation that is reminiscent of the double wrap-around windows sitting above it.  That was just the continuity I needed to have my base fit in perfectly with my space. 


The stairs and furniture were the last things I added to the space.  As for furniture, i didn't want anything too extravagant that would take focus away from the orientation of windows, because, really, that's what I'd like people to focus on.  I settled for simple glass tables for both my dining and side tables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment