Thursday, April 28, 2011

BP 14


My favorite object would have to be Henrik Thor-Larsen’s Ovalia Egg chair.  When I first saw the movie, Men in Black, I remember thinking how absolutely awesome it was.  Returning to it after so long through chair cards only reinforced the awe-inspiring feeling of badassitude I once held for it.  It truly is unique in that it encases the seated creating a sense of security, but in a way that is much more aesthetically appealing, in my opinion, than other similar styles (i.e. the classic wing chair, Jacobsen’s Egg, or Saarinen’s Womb).


If there is anything I have abhor, architecturally speaking, it has to be wasted space.  I’ve got tons of respect for Gary Chang for this reason.  Chang lives in an apartment smaller than most people have ever seen, but he utilizes all of its space to great lengths with movable walls.  This not only allows for up to 24 different permutations, but is only a taste of what is possible when it comes to green architecture.

It would've kept out Chuck Norris in his prime...
And it's still a party pad.

I have a knack for taking things less-than-seriously.  It’s just the way I operate.  The other day, I found a guy who built a house for the sole purpose of repelling the ravenous undead.  That’s exactly what I would do! – take the relatively mundane task of constructing a house and warp it into something that would more than keep my full attention long after the completion of the project, in this case, a zombie-proof fortress!  The house features concrete sliding walls and a massive metal door which can slide into place when the beginning of the end arrives.  However, when its not in lockdown, the house is actually pretty appealing. 


New York City is a place that absolutely deserves a spot on top of my list, for both, sentimental value and architectural merit.  I was born in New Jersey with family in the city, so riding subways, exploring Manhattan, and hitting Times Square at New Years are all experiences I grew up with.  But enough about me; let’s talk buildings.  Be it the Chrysler, the Rockefeller, or the ever-impressive Empire State, New York City has plenty to brag about.

No comments:

Post a Comment