Tuesday, October 5, 2010

12 sticks?

This project felt like it left off right where the last one ended.  The task was to incorporate 12 sticks and some paper product into a design.  For me, the most logical thing to do was to start with the prototype from the leaf assignment (right). I had rolled several paper skewers and lodged them in cardboard with the intention that they would hold the leaf in place.  Unfortunately however, due to the prohibition of certain materials, that model wasn't allowed to progress any further.  Luckily, with the twig assignment, I had only to replace the skewers with sticks.  The twigs had a very dynamic look but, I felt it was lacking something.  The upper portion of the prongs felt naked.  I knew some kind of form had to be placed up there.  That is when I saw Alexis' prototype with the stacked cardboard circles; I adopted this idea.  But instead, I cut the cardboard into shaped so when glued together, they would form varying 3 dimensional shapes.  These would hold the twigs together, but only at different heights and depths.  In retrospect, my final piece is still only passable as a prototype.  The corrugation in each piece of cardboard clashed with the others because, for the most part, they lined up at the wrong angles.   Had I invested more time in creating and learning more from the process, I would have been able to create a much stronger piece.





No comments:

Post a Comment