Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Leaf sketch


 When I went looking for a leaf, I really wanted something different.  I found the one above.  I appreciated the weathered and aged look it had.  I tried drawing it, but found it very difficult to do the wrinkles and micro-tears along the surface any justice.  I resorted to a rough hatching technique but looking back, I feel that it clashes with the length and smoothness of my lines on the lower left portion of the drawing.  In the end, the sketch took on a look that didn't have the roughness I was hoping for.  Initially, I may have captured that but continuous shading has hidden it.  Also, there should be much more delicacy about the northern edge of the leaf.  Ideally, I would have included so much more fraying along this torn edge.  Overall however, I feel that this sketch was important; I experimented with several new techniques, failed with them, and learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment